Over the past 12 months the staff at Ty Sign Primary has been working hard with ‘Aspire 2Be’ to engage with an online platform called Google Apps for Education. (GAFE) We are now beginning the gradual process of introducing GAFE to pupils across the school with the support of our Digital Competence Team and Digital Leaders and the Aspire 2Be team.
Google Apps for Education will enhance the way we use technology and share information within and beyond our school community. We are now ready to start using Google Apps with all our classes.
Essentially, Google Apps for Education is a cloud based learning platform allowing teachers and students to create and collaborate using a wide variety of cloud based applications provided by Google. This allows us to learn more effectively through the use of technology, and offer a range of new learning opportunities for teachers and students.
Further information about Google Apps for education can be found here.
Facts about Google Apps for Education
Google Apps is used by many of the world’s leading educational institutions, including universities, secondary and primary schools.
- Google Apps is completely free for schools and does not contain advertising anywhere within it.
- Many apps such as Google Drive and Gmail are familiar to many students and parents.
- Google Apps works on any device. This allows our students to continue learning beyond the classroom and gives them the ability to access their content at any time.
- Pupils and teachers can work in teams, sharing information and collaborating with each other effectively.
What should I be aware of?
- Your child will be provided with a G-mail address as part of the Google Apps package. Users will only be able to receive and send emails to and from Ty Sign Primary email addresses (unless specifically authorised by the teacher). All student messages can be monitored by teachers.
- Google Apps for Education terms of service can be read here. http://www.google.com/apps/intl/en-GB/terms/education_terms.html
We will be working with our pupils to educate them about using Google Apps in a productive and responsible manner. If you have any queries at any time regarding the adoption of Google Apps, please do not hesitate to contact us them.